I recently taught a class on working with breed specific wools for Piedmont Fibershed, and since I’ve been talking a lot about my spinning projects with different breeds, I thought I’d do a roundup of commercial breed-specific yarns so that the knitters can get in on the action too. There are a number of breed-specific commercial yarns available these days. Many of these are pretty widely available, but I’ve also included a few smaller brands, and listed the websites for those not generally available in retail yarn shops.
- Brooklyn Tweed – Merino (Peerie, Arbor), Targhee-Columbia (Loft, Shelter), Rambouillet (Vale)
- Fibre Co. Lore – Romney
- Hudson + West (Forge + Weld) – Merino/ Corriedale
- Blacker Yarns (UK – https://www.blackeryarns.co.uk) – various breeds
- Sincere Sheep -Cormo, Rambouillet
- Jamieson’s – Shetland
- Tukuwool Fingering – Finn/ Texel
- Lana Plantae – Rambouillet, Targhee, Lincoln Longwool
- Echoview Fiber Mill Ranger DK & Ranger Bulky (https://www.echoviewnc.com)- Merino
- West Yorkshire Spinners – Bluefaced Leicester
- Stone Wool – Merino, Cheviot, Cormo, Corriedale, Romney
- Solitude Wool (https://solitudewool.com)- various breeds
What breed-specific yarns have you found? Please add to my list in the comments.